While bluebells are lovely, there is something bigger, brighter, more Cornish and altogether longer lasting about the blue of hydrangeas. So there was really no other option but to call our Cornish Garden blue shade Trebah. The gardens are open every day of the year and are praised by visitors for being dog friendly as well.
Trebah Gardens, set in a valley in west Cornwall, leading down to the sea are full of hydrangeas, especially in late summer when we are planning our colour palette. Apart from Hydrangea Valley, there are also champion trees and many rhododendrons, as might be expected in Cornwall.
Like Boconnoc, Trebah was listed in 1085 in the Domesday Book. After a time as part of the lands of the Bishop of Exeter, the families owning it included Killigrews and Nicholls, the latter having built the 18th century house at the head of the valley.
Today’s garden was started nearly200 years ago in 1830-40 by the Quaker Charles Fox, investing some of the wealth he had earned in shipping, mining and smelting. The shipping interests enabled the family to import many plants from all over the world. From 1907 the garden passed through the ownership of several families and was also occupied by American troops during the 1939-45 war. It has been owned by Colonel and Mrs Hibbert since 1981 and they have worked on restoring it after the lack of continuity under the varied owners in the 20th century.