As part of our Values, we continue to work hard to care for the environment. We have an environmental policy and an annual plan and look carefully at all purchasing decisions to see how we can limit our impact.
We have achieved Carbon Reduction accreditation with a validated carbon footprint, as part of the Carbon AAA initiative working with Paul Gilbert, Programme Lead of Make it Net Zero. As part of our commitment to reduce our energy consumption and carbon emissions in order to be kinder to the planet, we are working with BCR Energy & Carbon Services who have installed energy monitors.
Our Commitment to a Green and Circular Economy:
- We try to use fewer plastic sacks and to re-use them
- We use re-used baler twine from a local farm to close sacks that we send out
- We recycle and reuse all of waste materials, and regularly sell as well as donate waste to local charities such as Freddie’s Fibre Friends (link is external).
- We still use large plastic tags for incoming sacks as they seem to be the best means of preventing losses of sacks, however we continue to look for alternatives.
- Our scour and dye effluent goes to agricultural land licensed for disposal and for agricultural benefit. This is why our pesticide limits are so important, as well as limiting the risks of disease resistance and costs.
- We are gradually reducing our use of paper and aim to become paperless.
- We pack completed orders of balls and twisted skeins of yarn into re-usable grip-seal bags and second-hand cardboard boxes
- We monitor electricity, water and gas use and try to ensure we control these.
We welcome comments, ideas and suggestions on ways that we can do even more.