The Natural Fibre Company has a growing group of regular trade customers from the UK, Sweden, the Netherlands and Germany. We specialise in batches from as little as 15kg finished product to 1,000kg and above with fast turn-around times.
Each batch is individual, providing exclusivity and, for some fibres, assurance of sourcing from a single farm or group of named farms.
We undertake the following:
Preparation. We match your yarn requirements from samples you provide, including making sample batches. We can also:
- Card for output as scoured/carded fibre or make slubbings for woollen spinning;
- De-hair alpaca and other Camelid fibres; and
- Blend, including blends of different fibres and colour mixtures. We specialise in the natural colours of yarn from the original sheep, goat or alpaca. We also blend with nylon, tussah silk and flax. Some wools are blended with mohair. Blending, particularly of intermediate shades of grey and beige, produces slightly heathered shades, which are attractive for both weaving and machine knits;Scour in our own plant (or organise contract scouring for larger volumes);
- Hand sort and grade wool, mohair and alpaca, including colour sorting Jacob wool;
- Source suitable fibre for your requirements. We source both via merchants and direct from specialist small producers of rare, regional and British breeds wools. Our speciality is British wool in individual breed-based yarns; we understand the characteristics of these fleeces;
- Worsted spinning. Worsted spinning singles knitting and weaving yarns from 2NM to 40NM (depending on the fibre) to your specification and/or matching yarn samples, from tops or greasy fleece
- Woollen spinning. Woollen spinning singles knitting and weaving yarns from 4YSW to 20YSW (depending on fibre) to your specification and/or matching yarn samples, from scoured or greasy fleece
- Twisting up to 6-ply yarns;
- Reeling, winding, washing and ball-winding of finished yarns. Balls may be made to 50g or 100g and skeins to 50g, 100g, 200g or unweighed. Cones are normally unweighed, but can be to specific weights. Skeins/hanks are 50g, 100g, 200g, 500g, other as specified or unweighed;
- Ball-band and skein-band application application;
- Steaming hanks and cones, waxing cones for knitwear purposes, etc.
- We hank dye, using organically accredited mineral based acid reactive dyes and have introduced a range of contemporary bright and pastel shades, including some dyed over natural greys and fawns. As we do not bleach, even our dyed natural white yarns have great colour depth;
- If required we can organise precise colour matching on your own yarn;
- We are able to stock dye fibre and piece dye fabrics.
All of our processes can be done to Soil Association organic specification, License Number X9061. We process to organic (Global Organic Textile Standard, GOTS) requirements and store them separately from non-organic yarns. All stages of the process, including transport, packaging, staff management and care for the local community and environment, are considered when managing to organic standards. The Natural Fibre Company is accredited to GOTS via The Soil Association with an annual inspection, unannounced inspections and detailed procedures. For more information, visit The Soil Association website.
In addition, we can produce to order:
- Specific breeds local to the area where your business is based, in some cases from named farms, sourcing from local producers for whom we regularly spin yarn from their flocks;
- Specific finishes, such as marls, flecked yarns or tweeded yarns;
- Yarn supplied washed on cone for rugs/carpets or knitting purposes or oiled-on-cone for weaving, larger volume and machine knitting;
- Yarn supplied in measured washed hanks with loose ties for craft dyeing;
- Combed rovings for many breeds and gilled rovings for most breeds;
- Yarns in balls with the ball-bands customised for your business; and
- We can also help you source small-scale package dyeing, pencil rovings, roving yarns, needle felt, cushion stuffing and felting batts.
We are also able to make or support arrangements for weaving, knitting or contract dyeing.
We negotiate prices individually for each order and endeavour to provide high quality first and foremost, at rates which are competitive and appropriate for the quality, work involved and quantity. We are not able to process to guaranteed levels of regain.
Items made to order will be subject to minimum quantities of 15kg finished, unless we are able to re-label or otherwise share a batch between customers or with our own on-line shop.
Samples can be 15kg for woollen spun, but as low as 10kg for worsted spun. We charge a minimum sample price irrespective of the quantity being lower than these amounts.
As we are a relatively small business, we generally need to receive payment prior to sending your order and therefore use proforma invoices, with a deposit of 25% with order. Trade accounts are available on 30-day terms to regular customers accepted for trade credit.
Delivery is normally around two months from scoured fibre and three months from greasy fibre, but a time will be agreed when the order is placed.
Please download our trade terms and conditions.
Environment and Society: our values
We try very hard to minimise our impact on the environment and to be good citizens:
- We source almost entirely British fibre (apart from silk and flax) which is processed entirely by The Natural Fibre Company at Launceston in Cornwall. We do occasionally buy-in small quantities of yarn for test marketing, and it is clearly labelled as such;
- We use almost exactly the same processes for our normal production as we do for organic production, aiming to use best practice on the use of oils and detergents and to reduce, re-use and re-cycle as far as possible;
- We try to deal fairly and promptly with all enquiries, customers, suppliers and staff;
- We welcome comments, questions and ideas, even though we cannot promise to implement them all.